Atlanta International Fashion Week: The Inside Scoop

Atlanta International Fashion Week: The Inside Scoop

Well hellooo Monday!! I used to dread you after a great weekend, but now I welcome you because I’ve matured to realize that you represent new beginnings, new blessings, and a fresh & new start to my mindset and focus. With that said I want to recap last week’s events for Atlanta International Fashion Week (AIFW), but also share some words of advice and lessons learned from my experience as the AIFW Public Relations Manager. We are all chasing goals, so why not make the very best of every opportunity to maximize your results and get that much closer to your dreams?!

aftertheshow_simonsalt13 (1) (1)

AIFW PR & Production Staff @ Friday’s Lookbook Fashion Show

I switched hats throughout the week to cover the shows as a fashion blogger along with a few other fabulous blogger babes!

0728162150

My “hats” for the week! @ The Biltmore Ballrooms

IMG_20160730_184450

LOOK BOOK Fashion Show

IMG_20160729_184104

Celebrity Walk for Charity Fashion Show

Now let’s get into the good stuff that will have you landing more gigs than you can handle….

Maintain a humble spirit. No matter how much experience you carry or how many followers you have…unless you are the Beyonce’ of what you do…you are not above free, hard work. Passing up an opportunity just because it’s not paid could be the biggest mistake of your professional career. And if you commit to it, grind like you’re making Beyonce’s checks! A lot of times the payoff is the connections that will get you paid work.

Be a leader & a servant simultaneously. No one wants to work under someone that is unwilling to get their hands dirty. As a leader know when to delegate, but don’t get too detached from the actual work. After all, you are building your portfolio/resume, and you WILL be asked to prove that you can actually perform these same tasks in the future. Remember, people are always watching you and taking notes.

Make real connections. Don’t just “meet” people. Get to know your fellow industry peeps, chat about your projects and potential collaborations, and exchange contact information. Getting the experience is great, but opening up doors for future endeavors is even greater! Make people want to create magic with you!

Never say “I can’t” or “I don’t know how”. Remove these words from your vocabulary completely! With the power of google and endless resources at your fingertips, you CAN figure out how to get it done. Be honest by mentioning that this is your first stab at this particular task. Your willingness to accept the challenge (when no one else would) will outweigh any mistake you may make along the way.

ALWAYS follow through. Even when people don’t live up to your expectations, don’t throw in the towel prematurely. Every successful person experiences failures on their journey, that’s life, so don’t burn bridges because you may need that person down the line. Yes…you have a name and brand to protect…but so does everyone else involved. Stick it out and make the very best of it. In the end your reputation will shine for being committed even when things get rough.

Here’s a recap of my favorite looks from all the shows combined! There was a nice mix of fashion for the current season, as well as lots of coming trends for fall/winter ’16. For a complete list of designers that showed their collections go to AIFW’s site here.

Photo cred: Simon Salt Photo & TK McCoy Photography

Lastly, here are some behind the scenes shots that were captured (mostly by me & of me) during the fun chaos of fashion week! 😉

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Fashionably Yours,

Aliya

1. August 9, 2016 / 12:44 pm

I enjoyed reading this post, girl! I really, REALLY love how you tied in tips on landing gigs. It was very much worth the read! You have such a sweet, mentoring spirit to match your ultra-fab soul! 💋

• August 10, 2016 / 12:36 am

I’m glad you enjoyed the post Eve!! I definitely had a great time covering fashion week with you, and I can’t wait to see your point of view from the events…I know it will be fab! And thank you for the uber sweet compliments! 🙂

2. August 10, 2016 / 4:53 pm

Words of wisdom! I totally agree with everything you said, such a great inspirational post Aliya! I haven’t been to a Fashion Week yet, It’s definitely on my bucket list.

You looked so gorgeous and your outfits are definitely on point girl!

XoXo,

Tamara – LoveofMode.com

• August 12, 2016 / 5:42 am

Thank you so much sweetheart!! I’m glad you enjoyed the post! I hope you have the opportunity to make it to a fashion week sooner than later…it’s like heaven on earth for girls like us! 😉

3. August 11, 2016 / 2:55 am

First of all you look amazing! I loved getting to see highlights from Atlanta Fashion Week, the fashion is so fresh and on point. I’ve always wanted to visit Atlanta, hoping to make that happen next year. Thank you for sharing your great advice and tips. So many good points. Over the past few months I have been trying remove ” I can’t” & ‘ I don’t know…” from my mind set. Power of the mind, right?
    Hope you’re having a great week so far!

xo, jackie
    stylemydreams.com

• August 12, 2016 / 5:37 pm

Thank you Jackie! I’m glad you found the tips to be useful. Most of us know these things, but just need reminders sometimes to stay on our A game! 😉 When you make it to Atlanta next year we will definitely have to meet up! Have a great weekend love!!

4. August 11, 2016 / 4:45 am

You look beautiful! I love the inspiration in this post, now I have a new way of thinking about new starts (and mondays), as they are a new opportunity. Great post, Aliya <3

• August 12, 2016 / 5:43 pm

Thank you Cynthia!! Mondays are the hardest, aren’t they?! I’m happy you were able to takeaway a little inspo! 😉

5. August 11, 2016 / 7:14 am

Hello beauty! You all look amazing. Thanks for your tips. Loved this post! You are so inspiring, gorge
    Xx, Raysa

• August 12, 2016 / 5:44 pm

Hey gorgeous!! Thanks a ton for checking out my post, and for your sweet words! You’re the best! Have a fab weekend 🙂

• August 15, 2016 / 8:18 am

You’re welcome! You too beauty. Xx

6. Bash Harry
    August 11, 2016 / 7:51 am

Oh, what a fantastic event! It’s really great when blogger babes get together just to hang out. Love the tips you gave, it’s so true! Always remain true to yourself <3

xx   BASH   |   go   say     H E Y   B A S H

• August 12, 2016 / 5:47 pm

Thank you love! Getting to know other blogger gals is the best part of what we do! Thanks for visiting and Happy Friday!! 🙂

7. August 11, 2016 / 4:41 pm

You look absolutely gorgeous, girl! I love all the looks, especially that first one! I also love the tips and suggestions you’ve shared here, I really couldn’t agree more, especially about remaining humble! This looks like such fun event and I’m glad you had a great time! Thanks so much for sharing and I hope you’re having a great week so far, beauty!

XO,

Jalisa

• August 12, 2016 / 5:51 pm

Hi sweet Jalisa!! I’m happy that you enjoyed the fashion and my personal business tips! & thank you for visiting the blog, you are truly a doll! I hope you have a wonderful weekend! XOXO

8. September 14, 2016 / 1:50 am

Dying to know where the black and white cape is from..I must have it! Great blog!

• September 25, 2016 / 3:19 am

Thanks love and sorry for the delayed response! My cape is from Lavish Alice.