Cross-Cultural Fashion: Is it a go or no?!

Cross-Cultural Fashion: Is it a go or no?!

Hi loves! I’ve recently been inspired by a few African style brands that I follow on Instagram. The prints are just so beautiful and vibrant, especially to rock in the summer. Shortly following my obsession I read an article by a well known and trusted fashion newsletter that stated wearing symbolic pieces from other cultures in the name of fashion is a “fashion mistake” that you will regret.

For starters, I disagree because I think it’s a beautiful thing to explore and appreciate meaningful fashion from other cultures. Secondly, given our current state of affairs across the world, we should be embracing every piece of our neighbor’s culture {whether near or far} in any form of expression we can. Fashion is a statement, an expression, and a way to say who you are and what you stand for without even having to speak. Let’s spread love through style, and remind each other that #alllivesmatter! πŸ˜‰

Now let’s get on to where I snagged this gorgeous dashiki for just 10 bucks! The beauty supply store!! Crazy right?! Call before you go running to your nearest beauty depot because not all carry clothing. I’m sharing this to say shop creatively! Don’t pass up that consignment/thrift store that looks sketchy on the outside…you could be overlooking a gold mine, literally! Some of my most beautiful pieces {at crazy steals} have come from stores like this that I spotted off the road and wandered into.

I honestly have always loved the fun dashiki prints, but wasn’t sold on the boxy fit of the garment. When I spied the cinched waist style I was all over it! I paired my dress with yellow fringe heels fromΒ JustFabΒ and a H&M handbag. I hope this look inspires you to experiment with fashion from cultures other then your own! One of my style goals is to step up the cultural section of my wardrobe starting with pieces symbolic of China, East India, Africa, and my own ethnicity- Native American.DSC_0969-004PSX_20160726_234912 (1)DSC_0919-004DSC_0984-004DSC_0951-004DSC_0949-004DSC_0960-004

Fashionably Yours,

Aliya

21 Comments

• August 12, 2016 / 6:14 pm

Thank you so much Sophie! I’m glad you love the look! & have a fab weekend πŸ™‚

• August 12, 2016 / 6:16 pm

Thanks Candace! I really appreciate your sweet compliment! Happy Friday!! πŸ™‚

1. August 12, 2016 / 10:18 pm

Oh yeah one more thing, how do you wear short dresses like these, while avoiding sudden gusts of wind, going up stair cases without exposing your backside to those at the bottom of the stairs, and without holding the dress in place for the duration that you’re wearing it? Or do you just wear it carefree without any care to modesty?

I really like the dress but l’d like practical tips on how to wear it in real life, outside of a photoshoot.

• August 17, 2016 / 3:49 pm

I always wear seamless boy shorts underneath short dresses so that there is no exposure of private parts. This style of dashiki could also be paired nicely with distressed skinny jeans for a street style look or denim bermuda shorts with a cute pair of sandals for a more casual look. Hope this answers your questions!

• August 18, 2016 / 1:49 pm

Thank you for the uber sweet compliments Kate!! πŸ™‚

2. Bukky
    August 16, 2016 / 2:35 am

That’s funny to me that someone will say something like that. I say wear what makes you beautiful, and you look incredibly beautiful.

• August 18, 2016 / 1:54 pm

I totally agree with you, as long as it’s not done in an offensive way to mock other cultures. & thank you sweetheart for the compliment!

• August 18, 2016 / 1:56 pm

Thanks Yuka! I’m totally obsessed with the print too!

• August 18, 2016 / 1:57 pm

Thank you Len, you are such a sweetheart! πŸ™‚

3. September 7, 2016 / 5:29 am

I totally agree with this. I feel like wearing the culture’s fashion is such a form of flattery and spreads cultural awareness. I seriously adore this print. I love those bright yellow heels too!

xo, Christina